From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] First Portage Hick-up, Chokes on Java
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:56:44
1 On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 04 November 2008 16:16:30 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
3 >> collision-protect seems nice, but I don't know about its drawbacks (if
4 >> any), and since it seems not to be default and I don't have good
5 >> knowledge of it, I didn't change the default.
6 >
7 > You probably want this enabled. I think it's disabled by default because new
8 > users will have no idea whatsoever what to do about it. All it does is check
9 > the files it wants to install with what's on the disk. If there's a match,
10 > the existing files must only have been put there by the same package
11 > (ignoring version numbers).
12 >
13 > If there's a collision, you get a huge big fat error message and a chance to
14 > find out why two different packages install the same file. Maybe you need to
15 > uninstall one, maybe it doesn't matter. If it's the latter, just
16 >
17 > FEATURES="-collision-protect" emerge <package>
18 >
19 > and continue as normal. In any event, you get to decide what should happen.
20 > Every experienced gentoo user should be using this imho
21 >
22 Nice. I actually thought that this protection was enabled by default,
23 and wondered what FEATURES=collision-protect did. Once I had a program
24 behaving weirdly, and found out that its binary (/usr/bin/stream, if
25 memory serves) had been replaced by an identically-named binary of
26 another program. I thought it was a Portage bug, but you are telling
27 me that Portage allows this by default.
28
29 By the way, certain parts of Portage are very scarcely document, are
30 they not? For examples, the FEATURES only have quick explanations in
31 make.conf.example, as far as I know (and I did search for more
32 complete explanations).
35 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds