From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] My winmodem works on linux-on-laptops.com
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 16:15:11
1 Hello! My Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop is reported to have a working
2 winmodem with Slackware here:
3
4 http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html ->
5 http://www.angelfire.com/linux/t_johnson/
6
7 According to the article, the modem's driver can be built into the kernel via:
8
9 Sound ->
10 Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ->
11 PCI Devices ->
12 Intel/SiS/nVidia/AMD MC97 Modem (EXPERIMENTAL)
13
14 I have ppp_generic and ppp_async built as modules and autoloaded. I
15 have slmodem emerged, but is that necessary with the kernel driver? I
16 have net-dialup/ppp-2.4.2-r10 emerged like this:
17
18 -activefilter
19 -atm
20 -dhcp
21 -ipv6
22 -mppe-mppc
23 +pam
24
25 When I try to '/etc/init.d/net.ppp0 start' I get:
26
27 * Bringing ppp0 up ...
28 SIOCDELRT: No such process [ ok ]
29
30 but I don't hear any dialing and subsequent ping attempts just say
31 "unknown host". Also, a subsequent '/etc/init.d/net.ppp0 stop' says:
32
33 * Bringing ppp0 down ...
34 * Interface seems to be down already [ ok ]
35
36 I can get rid of the 'SIOCDELRT: No such process' error if I change to:
37
38 DEFROUTE="no"
39
40 in '/etc/conf.d/net.ppp0'. That option is defined as "Must pppd set
41 the default route?".
42
43 Lastly, I need to use a special script that my ISP (GlobalDialUp.com)
44 provides. How can I incorporate that?
45
46 If I can get this working my troubles will be over!
47
48 - Grant
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list