From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:39:40
1 On 2012-03-14 9:03 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > *YOUR WIFE'S LAPTOP* won't boot properly without /usr on /, or an
3 > initramfs. OK, put /usr on /, or an initramfs*ON YOUR WIFE'S LAPTOP*.
4 > I don't have a problem with that. What gets people really upset is the
5 > dog-in-the-manger attitude of "if my complex/corner-case machine won't
6 > boot up without /usr on /, or an initramfs, then by golly*NOBODY'S*
7 > machine will be allowed to boot up without /usr on /, or an initramfs".
8 > My machine does not use bluetooth/other-weird-stuff. udev doesn't need
9 > to find bluetooth drivers on /usr on my machine. Why is udev being
10 > deliberately broken to not work on*EVERYBODY'S* machine if they don't
11 > have /usr on /, or an initramfs?
12
13 Why can't this argument simply be satisfied with one or more new profiles?