From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB drive dead? (Commands to check?)
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:24:32
1 On 20 Sep 2009, at 01:01, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
4 > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > <SNIP>
6 >>>
7 >>
8 >> seriously, I think you should try to get off everything you want to
9 >> keep - and
10 >> then replace the disk with a new one. If a disk starts throwing
11 >> block errors
12 >> it will only become worse. Don't worry about 'repairing' the file
13 >> system as
14 >> long as there is hardware damage. Try to get off the disk as much
15 >> as possible -
16 >> and then scrap it.
17 >
18 > I suspect you're right. It's just another $100 to go buy a new one....
19 >
20 > Anyway, I'll see what I can set up to save the files that are still
21 > there.
24 Although he seems to be demonstrating in this thread an inability to
25 snip long sections of quoted text, leaving the reader with many lines
26 of irrelevance to scroll through, I agree with Volker.
27
28 If the drive fails you're going to be spending $100, anyway. If it
29 fails without having been replaced & your data pulled off it then you
30 could find yourself floating down Effluent River and unable to start
31 your outboard.
32
33 I think this drive is quite likely to fail catastrophically, from my
34 experience of having seen similar errors in the past. I really
35 wouldn't trust this drive with important data right now. If you get
36 your data off it and replace it in it's current capacity, there's
37 nothing stopping you using it as a secondary drive in the future; I
38 wouldn't trust it with important data right now, but if it's still
39 chugging away in 6 months time then you can probably begin to have
40 faith in it. Once you've gotten your data off the drive it wouldn't do
41 any harm to format it nice with a clean filesystem; and writing a
42 bunch of big unimportant files on the drive (e.g. `dd if=/dev/zero of=/
43 mnt/sda1/foo`) might allow it to map away a bunch of bad sectors.
44
45 But right now you should probably act like the drive is definitely
46 hosed. I don't think you should be saying "oh, this might cost me
47 $100, I hope it doesn't" - you should be saying "s#!t d@mn! I had to
48 buy a new hard-drive. But at least my data's ok".
49
50 But maybe data isn't as important to you as it is to me. Relying on
51 this drive for the backups of your Windows machines right now would be
52 a mockery; around here sod's law would conspire for me to need one of
53 those backups, were I to continue using a drive showing errors like
54 this. I write as a guy you just bought yet another 500gb drive on
55 Friday; I would too have preferred not to spend that money, but
56 experience shows that frugality can sometimes be a mistake.
57
58 Stroller.