From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Change MAKEOPTS on the fly?
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 08:29:21
1 On 12/07/2020 09:04, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 >     is there a way to change the MAKEOPTS setting on a running emerge?
5 > I am using "-j 5 -l 4" whilst emerging gcc-9.3 but its creating too much
6 > pressure  on memory.  I expect the emerge to take many more hours but
7 > complete eventually - but reducing it to "-j2" will help other
8 > operations whilst not losing whats already been completed (this is an
9 > old atom N330 with 4G ram and is my gateway/router/firewall/snort/...
10 > and the overload is starting to affect the network throughput
11 > significantly).
12
13 No. But what you can do is lower its nice level to 19, and CPU and IO
14 priority to "idle". First, find the process IDs of emerge and make:
15
16 ps aux | grep emerge
17 ps aux | grep make
18
19 The first number after the user name (which is "root") is the pid. Then
20 do the following for both pids:
21
22 schedtool -D -n 19 pid
23 ionice -c 3 -p pid
24
25 ionice is in sys-apps/util-linux, so it's probably already installed.
26 schedtool though is in sys-process/schedtool and it might not be
27 installed. Nothing you can do about that right now. You have to wait it
28 out. ionice should help a bit though.
29
30 In the future, I *highly* recommend installing schedtool, and then put
31 this in your make.conf:
32
33 PORTAGE_NICENESS=19
34 PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="sh -c \"schedtool -D \${PID}; ionice -c 3 -p
35 \${PID}\""
36
37 I have used this for many years now. It makes emerge have a virtually
38 imperceptible impact on my system. I can emerge for example gcc or
39 libreoffice with -j4 on my 4 cores/4 threads CPU, and I feel no slowdown
40 at all. This won't help with running out of RAM obviously, but it helps
41 immensely with keeping the system highly responsive.
42
43 Another thing I recommend is getting rid of "-j5". Use -j4. The "+1"
44 recommendation from decades ago does not apply anymore with modern Linux
45 kernels. You can test this yourself by emerging a smaller package that
46 takes like 2 minutes or so to emerge, and compare times with j4 and j5.
47 Most likely you will see no difference, other than j5 using more RAM.