From: "Matt Connell (Gmail)" <matthewdconnell@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Change MAKEOPTS on the fly?
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 16:10:14
1 On Sun, 2020-07-12 at 11:29 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Another thing I recommend is getting rid of "-j5". Use -j4. The "+1"
3 > recommendation from decades ago does not apply anymore with modern Linux
4 > kernels. You can test this yourself by emerging a smaller package that
5 > takes like 2 minutes or so to emerge, and compare times with j4 and j5.
6 > Most likely you will see no difference, other than j5 using more RAM.
7
8 I can confirm this as well. On RAM-limited systems (like this laptop
9 with 8 logical cores and only 8GB of memory...) I have to use "-j2" in
10 order to keep the machine usable while compiling.