From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Change MAKEOPTS on the fly?
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 16:34:07
1 On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 11:10:01 -0500, Matt Connell (Gmail) wrote:
2
3 > > Another thing I recommend is getting rid of "-j5". Use -j4. The "+1"
4 > > recommendation from decades ago does not apply anymore with modern
5 > > Linux kernels. You can test this yourself by emerging a smaller
6 > > package that takes like 2 minutes or so to emerge, and compare times
7 > > with j4 and j5. Most likely you will see no difference, other than j5
8 > > using more RAM.
9 >
10 > I can confirm this as well. On RAM-limited systems (like this laptop
11 > with 8 logical cores and only 8GB of memory...) I have to use "-j2" in
12 > order to keep the machine usable while compiling.
15 You have to consider the --jobs option passed to emerge at the same time.
16 It's no use limiting each emerge to 2 processes if you then run multiple
17 emerges in parallel. Setting --load in MAKEOPTS and --load-average in
18 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS is worthwhile on a constrained system.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 Knock firmly but softly. I like soft firm knockers.