From: Justin <justin@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Home page slowness
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 08:41:51
1 Alan McKinnon schrieb:
2 > On Saturday 10 May 2008, davecode@××××××××××.net wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> We plan to eval Gentoo. We await 2008 final. The comment is, Gentoo
7 >> home page gives no clue about status. Convincing people that Gentoo
8 >> is "alive" becomes tricky because the final is months late and little
9 >> motion on the home page. That's about all most people inspect.
12 > I think you misunderstand how Gentoo works.
13 >
14 > First of all, there's no such thing as "the latest Gentoo version". What
15 > you do have is the current state of the portage tree and that is
16 > constantly changing.
17 >
18 > All that "2008" is, is a workable snapshot of a basic system that you
19 > use to install Gentoo. The next thing you do is update the tree to the
20 > latest state, and update the system by recompiling everything that has
21 > changed since your CD image was built.
22 >
23 > There's only one reason to wait for the 2008 CD, and that is if you have
24 > hardware that cannot boot from existing installers due to driver
25 > issues. So this is a bootstrap problem, not a latest version problem.
26 > For example, this very notebook I'm using now is 7 months old, and I
27 > used a 2005 installer CD to install - it just happened to be the only
28 > one I conveniently had handy at the time.
29 >
30 > Gentoo is not Ubuntu, don't try to think of it in Ubuntu terms. Don't
31 > claim that "this confuses new users", because those new users are
32 > mistaken. Shoehorning Gentoo into something where the latest installer
33 > is of vital importance is never going to work and all attempts to do so
34 > will fail, in much the same way that awaiting "linux kernel 2.6 SP9" is
35 > also never going to work out
38 >> So bottom line, impressions of Gentoo are going south even before we
39 >> test.
42 > That's a false assumption. You or your users are looking at a blue sky
43 > and asking why it isn't green with pink dots because those colours are
44 > nice.
45 >
46 > Doesn't work that way.
49 >> Some sort of "progress bar" or chart showing bugs squashed and new
50 >> reported, maybe?? At least some kind of "ticker" showing "expected
51 >> final release date"? Counting lines of code or something?
52 >>
53 >> Personally I don't care when final ships - just knowing "present
54 >> expectations" or status with an easy home page glance is all I ask.
57 > OK, so this is what you'd like. Unfortunately you can't get it. What
58 > could be done though is a nice big clear link to an article that
59 > explains how Gentoo works and why OS versioning is not relevant.
60 >
61 > Perhaps a chart laying out the latest stale and unstable versions of
62 > major packages, categorized by arch would suit your needs.
63 > Distrowatch's list of packages provided would be a good place to start.
67 That was what I meant to say! Thanks for this more epic explanation!