From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Home page slowness
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 08:28:55
1 On Saturday 10 May 2008, davecode@××××××××××.net wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > We plan to eval Gentoo. We await 2008 final. The comment is, Gentoo
5 > home page gives no clue about status. Convincing people that Gentoo
6 > is "alive" becomes tricky because the final is months late and little
7 > motion on the home page. That's about all most people inspect.
8
9 I think you misunderstand how Gentoo works.
10
11 First of all, there's no such thing as "the latest Gentoo version". What
12 you do have is the current state of the portage tree and that is
13 constantly changing.
14
15 All that "2008" is, is a workable snapshot of a basic system that you
16 use to install Gentoo. The next thing you do is update the tree to the
17 latest state, and update the system by recompiling everything that has
18 changed since your CD image was built.
19
20 There's only one reason to wait for the 2008 CD, and that is if you have
21 hardware that cannot boot from existing installers due to driver
22 issues. So this is a bootstrap problem, not a latest version problem.
23 For example, this very notebook I'm using now is 7 months old, and I
24 used a 2005 installer CD to install - it just happened to be the only
25 one I conveniently had handy at the time.
26
27 Gentoo is not Ubuntu, don't try to think of it in Ubuntu terms. Don't
28 claim that "this confuses new users", because those new users are
29 mistaken. Shoehorning Gentoo into something where the latest installer
30 is of vital importance is never going to work and all attempts to do so
31 will fail, in much the same way that awaiting "linux kernel 2.6 SP9" is
32 also never going to work out
33
34 > So bottom line, impressions of Gentoo are going south even before we
35 > test.
36
37 That's a false assumption. You or your users are looking at a blue sky
38 and asking why it isn't green with pink dots because those colours are
39 nice.
40
41 Doesn't work that way.
42
43 > Some sort of "progress bar" or chart showing bugs squashed and new
44 > reported, maybe?? At least some kind of "ticker" showing "expected
45 > final release date"? Counting lines of code or something?
46 >
47 > Personally I don't care when final ships - just knowing "present
48 > expectations" or status with an easy home page glance is all I ask.
49
50 OK, so this is what you'd like. Unfortunately you can't get it. What
51 could be done though is a nice big clear link to an article that
52 explains how Gentoo works and why OS versioning is not relevant.
53
54 Perhaps a chart laying out the latest stale and unstable versions of
55 major packages, categorized by arch would suit your needs.
56 Distrowatch's list of packages provided would be a good place to start.
60 Alan McKinnon
61 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
64 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list