From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] world favorites: pros and cons
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 22:35:16
1 Daniel wrote:
2 > Good afternoon,
5 > I would like to ask what advantages does one gain from (not) putting
6 > packages in the world file?
7 >
8 > I know the use of "emerge --oneshot <some-packages>" emerges packages
9 > without recording them in the world set. I also know that all the
10 > packages installed as dependencies don't get recorded in the world set
11 > either.
12 >
13 > I see only one advantage in this - the next time I do "emerge --update
14 > world" the checking for available updates would be faster because the
15 > world file doesn't contain all the packages that are actually emerged.
16 >
17 > BUT...What happens if there are "critical" updates for packages not
18 > listed in the world?
21 I would like to thank everyone who took part in this "low priority" thread.
22 I think its enough what we exchanged as thoughts, ideas and arguments so
23 far. My suggestion is that if everyone agrees we should consider this
24 topic closed. Of course its only my opinion and if somebody feels that
25 he/she has to add something important the list is still open :)
26
27 I would try to draw a fair general the conclusions from the thread:
28
29 1) Putting packages in the world file is unlikely to corrupt the system
30 2) Putting package dependencies in the world set leads to manual work
31 without providing any advantages and may lead to problems
32 3) The best way to handle packages is to let portage do its job without
33 external tweaking (wise!) :)
34 4) The best reason to put manually individual packages in world set is
35 to protect them against removing with "emerge --depclean"
36 5) The best reason for manual removing individual packages from the
37 world set is to prevent them from upgrading.
38
39 I hope it's a fear conclusion.
42 Thanks, guys.
46 Best regards,