From: Hartmut Figge <h.figge@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Xorg-server and my mouse
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 04:01:19
1 Dale:
2
3 >Did my etc-update and went to log into KDE. No keyboard. No
4 >mouse. No nothing. I knew the new xorg-server update was going to make
5 >me change a few things but I thought I would be ABLE to change the
6 >thing.
7
8 *g*
9
10 Today 'emerge --sync' followed by 'emerge -uDN world' changed my xorg to
11 1.5. After 'startx' i had my usual icewm screen but no working mouse or
12 keyboard.
13
14 >I had to unplug the computer then add softlevel=boot to get to
15 >where I could even fix the stupid thing.
16
17 I preferred ssh from another computer. ;)
18
19 >While I was trying to recover and reading, it appears I have to update
20 >my kernel for this thing to work.
21
22 That depends. Look in 'sudo make menuconfig' at Device Drivers->Input
23 device support for Event interface. If available and unchecked, select
24 it and recompile your kernel.
25
26 I had done so because it was mentioned in the 'Xorg 1.5 Upgrade Guide',
27 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.5-upgrade-guide.xml
28
29 Wasn't enough, though.
30
31 ----- Xorg.0.log -----
32 (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (module does not exist, 0)
33 ---------------
34
35 But 'modprobe evdev' succeeded. *g*
36
37 After pulling out some hairs and examining 'emerge -pv xorg-server'
38 closer i changed
39
40 ----- /etc/make.conf -----
41 INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
42 ----------------
46 ----- /etc/make.conf -----
47 INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev"
48 ---------------
49
50 and recompiled xorg-server. Now i had working mouse and keyboard under X.
51
52 Then i noticed that my german keyboard layout was gone. The Upgrade
53 Guide was not very clear in this point. At least for me.
54
55 Time for a break, so i decided to disable hal for a while, drink some
56 coffee and smoke some pipes. ;)
57
58 ----- /etc/X11/xorg.conf -----
59 Section "ServerFlags"
60 Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
61 EndSection
63
64 Now i have commented out these lines because i found a way for my german
65 keyboard layout. Hm, just noticed that i have also to do something for
66 my compose key. Sigh.
67
68 Hartmut