From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alon Keren <alon.keren@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating a LFS system with Portage
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:39:18
1 On 9/19/06, Alon Keren <alon.keren@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > My aim is to have the ability to regularly build and maintain
3 > completely customized Linux systems.
4
5 This should be possible by using your own local portage tree (probably
6 based initially on Gentoo's tree) that you update somewhat manually
7 with ebuilds and eclasses as you want. Combined with pre-built binary
8 packages, and a 'golden' portage configuration and world file, it
9 should be relatively simple & quick to stage a new system.
10
11 If Gentoo's minimal installation CD and a stage1 install doesn't work
12 for you, you can build your own release media with catalyst (no, it
13 isn't just for rebuilding the toolchain).
14
15 This _is_ going to require a solid understanding of how Gentoo/Portage
16 works, but not necessarily how to write ebuilds/eclasses. You need to
17 understand what we mean by "portage tree", "world file", "use flags",
18 "profile", "binary packages", etc. The best way to acquire this
19 knowledge is to install and use Gentoo, daily, for something
20 significant (like your desktop!).
21
22 > The ROOT variable is probably a major part of the solution, but is it
23 > enough? I've also found '/usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh', which
24 > seems suspiciously relevant, but comes with little external
25 > documentation.
26
27 bootstrap.sh _is_ for only rebuilding the toolchain. Probably not
28 what you want at all....
29
30 The ROOT variable is used to install packages into a different (fex
31 chroot) directory. It is usually used for things like
32 cross-compilation environments where one wants to build binary
33 packages for another system, although not always.
34
35 The normal way of installing a new system in a chroot from a live
36 system is to use the "Knoppix Installation" instructions [1].
37
38 -Richard
39
40 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/altinstall.xml#doc_chap3