From: Alon Keren <alon.keren@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating a LFS system with Portage
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 13:30:15
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > I'm not sure why you want to do this or what your line of
3 > reasoning is. A stage 1 gentoo install is very similar to
4 > building LFS, except that you don't have to type './configure
5 > && make && sudo make install' 300 times. Well, conceptually
6 > similar at least.
7 >
8 > The whole point of LFS is to do it by hand and see how it all
9 > works at an even lower level than gentoo provides. You could
10 > use portage to automate the LFS build process, but then you end
11 > up with essentially a clone of gentoo. I say this as someone
12 > who has built an LFS as a learning exercise then moved on to
13 > gentoo for pragmatic reasons.
14 >
15 > Perhaps if you explained why you want to try this and especially
16 > what you want to accomplish, then we can advise you better.
19 My aim is to have the ability to regularly build and maintain
20 completely customized Linux systems. I simply don't want to be
21 dependent - at any stage - on the whims or habits of a distribution.
22 While LFS allows me to build a completely customized Linux system, it
23 takes, as you say, a lot of time and effort to build a single one.
24 Also, it offers nothing in the sense of package-management.
25 So, what I'm looking for is something to automate the LFS
26 build-process and to do it under some system of package-management.
27 Portage seemls likely to meet those needs.
28
29 >From what I read about stage1 and stage2, they both come as is, which
30 is somewhat problematic for my needs (for examle, if I want to use one
31 version of gcc instead of another). Even if stage1 is used 'out of the
32 box', some mechanism should be in place in order to build a new system
33 on a chroot environment, no?
34
35 The ROOT variable is probably a major part of the solution, but is it
36 enough? I've also found '/usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh', which
37 seems suspiciously relevant, but comes with little external
38 documentation.
41 > > Please CC me your replies as I'm not subscribed to messages
42 > > from this list
43 >
44 > Nope. Asking that is exceptionally rude. I wade through 200+
45 > messages per day looking for places I can assist others. The
46 > least you can do is subscribe to the list like everyone else
47 > (and how did you manage to post without a subscription?), and
48 > download the same looking for replies to your question.
49 > Besides, the answers you get might help someone else.
50
51 I'm sorry that you find my request rude. I would rather not go through
52 200 messages every day if I could help it, and I personally don't find
53 it too troublesome to add an address to the CC line. Replying to the
54 list and having me as CC will obviously not prevent others to take
55 place in the discussion or read it later on as reference.
56 At any case, I would look in online archives to search for any
57 messages which haven't reached me.
58
59 Alon
62 PS.
63
64 Please CC me your replies as I'm not subscribed to messages from this list
65 --
66 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list