From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Threads changing Was: OT: website design
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:06:26
1 On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 01:01:22PM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Sunday 05 June 2011 06:43:37 Indi wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 11:46:49AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > > > Apparently, though unproven, at 23:59 on Saturday 04 June 2011, Indi did
5 > > > opine
6 > > >
7 > > > thusly:
8 > > > > On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 11:44:30PM +0200, Sebastian Beßler wrote:
9 > > > > > Am 04.06.2011 23:10, schrieb Indi:
10 > > > > > > Every single GUI MUA I ever tried would lock up and become
11 > > > > > > unresponsive at times when dealing with IMAP.
12 > > > > >
13 > > > > > I use Thunderbird and IMAP for 3 years now and in all that time
14 > > > > > became TB never unresponsive. So this point seems to have
15 > > > > > improved since your testing.
16 > > > >
17 > > > > That's good to know, thanks.
18 > > > > I'm unlikely to switch from mutt (due in part to so many macros and
19 > > > > customizations accumulated the last couple of years), but am always
20 > > > > keeping an eye out for those I support.
21 > > > >
22 > > > > Maybe I'll put the next person who complains about evolution on
23 > > > > thunderbird and see how they do with it...
24 > > >
25 > > > Evolution just sucks, all the time. The only feature that sets is apart
26 > > > is the Exchange support, and it's precisely that which crashes is. We
27 > > > enabled POP/IMAP on Exchange and non-Outlook users use that.
28 > > >
29 > > > Thunderbird - I itried this a while back when KMail-4.5.9999 pissed me
30 > > > off extremely. Capable enough except it does something weird with it's
31 > > > internal indexing - shows there's mail in folder, click the folder and
32 > > > it decides there isn't mail after all. S simple this, but a
33 > > > deal-breaking annoying one.
34 > > >
35 > > > Mutt - my networks guys use this on a dedicated mail server just for
36 > > > them
37 > > > (networks guys really are special) and they have no issues at all. 2 of
38 > > > them are hard-core crazy and choose pine instead. The only problem with
39 > > > pine is finding who is supported and maintaining it lately (as repine)
40 > > >
41 > > > Claws is fast, very fast. I didn't like the way it dealt with mail
42 > > > accounts and enable/disable them quickly and easily.
43 > > >
44 > > > KMail was always the best of the lot for me. It read and composed mail,
45 > > > it had all the features of a pine/mutt and shows it in a GUI. No weird
46 > > > bling-bling (it *could* do HTML mail but you had to jump through a hoop
47 > > > first) and made sensible use of the extra screen space and all the
48 > > > information that could be shown. But in the last year, I don't know so
49 > > > much anymore. KDEPIM has a "corporate sponsor" which I take to mean
50 > > > "works like Outlook". It's two whole minor releases behind KDE and they
51 > > > don't have a incremental feature set they can release for the interim.
52 > > > And then there's that text-search aspect that kills Akonadi.
53 > > >
54 > > > I see room for a KDEPIM fork from the 4.4 codebase in maintenance mode
55 > > > that does not add deep features.
56 > >
57 > > Thanks, Alan. Of course kmail is out of the question, as it requires a
58 > > ginormous application framework be built (and rebuilt weekly, it looks
59 > > like).
60 > >
61 > > I got pretty fed up with wasting time fooling with anything qt,
62 > > to the point it's now officially banished entirely from my systems.
63 > > That decision alone has saved me hours of extra work updating (and
64 > > subsquent repairing of the inevitable fallout) per week.
65 > >
66 > > For a long time I built vlc with qt4 (it's very convenient when you're
67 > > exhausted and just want to play a video), but finally got sick of having
68 > > to rebuild it every time the qt guys change anything (which they seem to
69 > > do about every two hours). Now I just use nvlc and cvlc instead.
70 > >
71 > > Since I started building vlc without qt I go weeks without having to
72 > > rebuild it.
73 > >
74 > > It's too bad, really. Potentially, qt4 and kde could totally rock.
75 > > I don't suppose the corporate shenanigans with Nokia and Microsoft
76 > > have helped, either...
77 > >
78 > > Of course, I am using ~x86. It might be less hectic on stable...
79 >
80 > funny - last qt update did not require any rebuilds.
81 >
82 > I wish I could get rid of gtk. Now THAT is a mess.
83 > --
84 > #163933
87 Yes, gtk also sucks but I find it far less work far less often
88 than using qt, and I've got a selection of custom themes that
89 help mitigate the ugliness.
90
91 If I were driven strictly by aesthetic concerns qt and kde4
92 might be my choices, as they can be extremely pleasant to look
93 at. Heh, reminds me of my ex -- he was very pleasant to look at
94 (and a huge amount of constant maintenance work) as well. ;)
97 caveat utilitor