From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia and optimus
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 21:29:42
1 On Wednesday, December 17, 2014 12:29:24 AM behrouz khosravi wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 11:19 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > The Optimus support on Linux is similar to how it's done on ms windows. (I
4 > > dual boot for a flight sim)
5 > >
6 > > Performance wise, it depends on the GPU.
7 > > The lowspec one I have is an Intel embedded one. The higher spec is an
8 > > NVidia GT750.
9 > >
10 > > Using glxgears:
11 > > Without (Intel): 60fps
12 > > With (NVidia): 90-95 fps
13 > >
14 > > --
15 > > Joost
16 > > --
17 > > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
18 >
19 > Thanks for the info.
20 > However I think that I will wait till better support is provided for linux.
21
22 What would you consider better support?
23 The way it works currently is how it's working with MS Windows (as provided by
24 NVidia).
25
26 > And I am sure if I am ever going to buy a new laptop, I will make sure that
27 > it has only one GPU! ( Intel would be nice!)
28
29 A single GPU makes things simpler, but being able to have the best of both
31 1) Intel = low power = long battery life
32 2) Nvidia = good quality 3D, but shorter battery life
33
34 The NVidia chip is actually switched off when not being used. (Or if not, I
35 wouldn't notice as the battery life is significantly better after installing
36 bumblebee and running the bumblebee service.)
39 Joost
40
41 PS. Is there a similar technology using ATI chipsets?