From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel build - back in the soup.
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 05:58:14
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > hamilton <hamilton@×××××.com> writes:
5 >> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:02:18 -0800, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> On 11/03/2009 02:29 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> I'll say right from the start, that building a new kernel, has always
10 >>>> been a problem for me. I don't remember ever not having a problem, in
11 >>>> 10+ yrs..
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Many people here seem to find it completely easy... not me.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> So I'm back in the soup.
16 >>>> [I hope what I try to layout below is not overly confusing]
17 >>>>
18 >>>> (After install of gentoo-sources-2.6.31-r4)
19 >>>>
20 >> Just checking - but you didn't mention: did you copy the .config to the
21 >> new kernel src directory? If not, that would certainly explain the
22 >> disparity in configuration settings you're seeing.
26 > I think you can say make `oldconfig' and the `old config' is supposed to
27 > be incorporated so no I didn't
28 >
29 > If I had put .confg into the new sources, then plain make menuconfig
30 > is what I would have used.
31 >
32 > Do you know where the man pages or docs for that stuff is .. its not in
33 > `man make'
34 >
35 > I'd like to check some of that.
41 I always do this: cp /path/to/old/kernel/.config
42 /path/to/new/kernel/.config . Then run make oldconfig and configure all
43 the new stuff. I usually answer no to everything but there is
44 exceptions. After that, make all && make modules_install and either run
45 make install or copy it the old fashioned way. Then edit grub if needed
46 and reboot.
47
48 Do all that in /usr/src/linux especially the make parts.
49
50 It has worked for me for quite a while. I do have a hiccup every once
51 in a while but usually something else is wrong.
52
53 Dale
54