From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel build - back in the soup.
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 04:11:28
1 hamilton <hamilton@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:02:18 -0800, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On 11/03/2009 02:29 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
5 >>> I'll say right from the start, that building a new kernel, has always
6 >>> been a problem for me. I don't remember ever not having a problem, in
7 >>> 10+ yrs..
8 >>>
9 >>> Many people here seem to find it completely easy... not me.
10 >>>
11 >>> So I'm back in the soup.
12 >>> [I hope what I try to layout below is not overly confusing]
13 >>>
14 >>> (After install of gentoo-sources-2.6.31-r4)
15 >
16 > Just checking - but you didn't mention: did you copy the .config to the
17 > new kernel src directory? If not, that would certainly explain the
18 > disparity in configuration settings you're seeing.
21 I think you can say make `oldconfig' and the `old config' is supposed to
22 be incorporated so no I didn't
23
24 If I had put .confg into the new sources, then plain make menuconfig
25 is what I would have used.
26
27 Do you know where the man pages or docs for that stuff is .. its not in
28 `man make'
29
30 I'd like to check some of that.