From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel build - back in the soup.
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 16:00:59
1 On 2009-11-04, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >> Just checking - but you didn't mention: did you copy the
4 >> .config to the new kernel src directory? If not, that would
5 >> certainly explain the disparity in configuration settings
6 >> you're seeing.
7 >
8 > I think you can say make `oldconfig' and the `old config' is
9 > supposed to be incorporated
10
11 No, it isn't.
12
13 > so no I didn't
14
15 That's the problem.
16
17 > If I had put .config into the new sources, then plain make
18 > menuconfig is what I would have used.
19
20 No, that's when you use make oldconfig: when you've placed a
21 .config file from an old kernel into the build directory.
22 Doing a "make oldconfig" will used the existing .config file as
23 much as possible and ask you questions about new choices.
24
25 > Do you know where the man pages or docs for that stuff is ..
26 > its not in `man make'
27
28 Have you tried looking in the 'Documentation' directory in the
29 linux source tree?
30
31 > I'd like to check some of that.
32
33 Good idea.
36 Grant Edwards grante Yow! ... I'm IMAGINING a
37 at sensuous GIRAFFE, CAVORTING
38 visi.com in the BACK ROOM of a
39 KOSHER DELI --