From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RYZEN 5: Hyperthreading or no hyperthreading...
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 18:52:11
1 On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 11:11 AM <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 03/27 06:04, Andrea Conti wrote:
4 > > Hello,
5 > >
6 > > > Thread(s) per core: 1 <<<<<
7 > > > Does my CPU hyperthread?
8 > >
9 > > Definitely not.
10 > >
11 > > Your kernel config is fine, chances are hyperthreading (aka "SMT mode")
12 is
13 > > disabled in your BIOS settings.
14 > >
15 > > andrea
18 > Hi Andrea,
19 >
20 > I checked that: The BIOS setting was set to use hyperthreading.
21 >
22 > But "Number of cores" was set to six. I changed that to 12 and
23 > Voila! I got two threads per core.
24 >
25 > I think "Number of cores" is a little misleading, since there
26 > are six physical cores (not threads) with a RYZEN 5.
27 >
28 > I feeling not that comfortable with this solution.
29 >
30 > Is there any way to check for the validity of this setting
31 > beside a tool, which prints a "2" after the word "threads" ;) ?
32 >
33 > Cheers!
34 > Meino
38 cat /proc/cpu should give info for each thread. I've been running an i7 980
39 Extreme processor @3.33GHz here at home for about 12 years or so. It's 6
40 cores but shows 12 processors on both Gentoo and now Kubuntu.
41
42 I generally run top and then hit '1' and 'z'. You can watch what percentage
43 each core/thread is using.
44
45 Time a BIG compile job twice, once with each kernel. If it's working you'll
46 measure a significant difference in time. Note that it won't be 2x as
47 you'll also be limited by disk read/write throughput, but you'll know it's
48 basically working.
49
50 On Gentoo make sure you're compile settings in (I think make.conf - I no
51 longer run Gentoo much) are set to take advantage of all your cores and not
52 limited to something smaller. Also watch overheating when using more
53 cores/threads. On older PCs like mine when you possibly have dust in CPU
54 coolers might not be as efficient as when they are new.
55
56 HTH,
57 Mark