From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is 'MAKEOPTS="--jobs --load-average=5"' silly?
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 18:17:01
1 On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 08:07:06PM +0530, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote
2
3 > @Walter, I'm also on a dual core machine, and as per my observation
4 > over long emerges, load doesn't cross 2.2.
5 > I have also observed that if it is limited to 2, system seems to be
6 > under utilized, because make checks the 1 minute average instead of 15
7 > minute average (well, it doesn't make sense otherwise).
8 >
9 > This could apply to bigger processors too, so if you want full
10 > utilization, slightly extrapolate the load average limit. Say by
11 > 20-30%.
12
13 OK, I'll go with...
14
15 MAKEOPTS="-j2 --load-average=3"
18 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
19 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications