From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is 'MAKEOPTS="--jobs --load-average=5"' silly?
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 14:03:41
1 On Wednesday 27 March 2013 18:16:22 Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > OK, I'll go with...
4 >
5 > MAKEOPTS="-j2 --load-average=3"
6
7 This box is an i5 with four single-threaded CPUs and I limit the average
8 load to 8. Since emerge is running at niceness=3 the desktop remains
9 responsive throughout. I used not to limit the load at all and KDE was still
10 fine to work with. I sometimes think that with modern systems there's no need
11 to impose limits of my own since the kernel can cope well by itself.
12
13 In fact I'm going to remove the load limit and see how I get on.
16 Peter