From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is 'MAKEOPTS="--jobs --load-average=5"' silly?
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 12:37:47
1 On Thursday 28 Mar 2013 14:03:27 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 27 March 2013 18:16:22 Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > OK, I'll go with...
4 > >
5 > > MAKEOPTS="-j2 --load-average=3"
6 >
7 > This box is an i5 with four single-threaded CPUs and I limit the average
8 > load to 8. Since emerge is running at niceness=3 the desktop remains
9 > responsive throughout. I used not to limit the load at all and KDE was
10 > still fine to work with. I sometimes think that with modern systems
11 > there's no need to impose limits of my own since the kernel can cope well
12 > by itself.
13 >
14 > In fact I'm going to remove the load limit and see how I get on.
15
16 I've got a first generation i7 and this is what I have set up in my make.conf:
17
18 MAKEOPTS="-j5 -l12.8"
19 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"
20
21 Why is -l set at 12.8 ... ? At some distant point in the past this made sense
22 to me, but I have no idea how I arrived at it. Other than the cooling fan
23 speeding up I have not noticed a problem with any ebuilds. Very rarely I
24 might have used -j1 to complete a failing ebuild, but it was so long ago I
25 can't even recall it.
26 --
27 Regards,
28 Mick