From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysterious segfaults
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 14:04:02
1 matthew.garman@×××××.com schreef:
2 > Recently, programs on my computer have been victims of abrupt
3 > segfaults.
4 <snip>
5 > The weird thing is, after waiting a while (say two or three hours),
6 > the problem went away---everything just started working.
9 This sounds awfully like a heat problem, especially if the problem goes
10 away after waiting a significant amount of time (the system cools down),
11 or only appears after a long time of use (the system heats up).
12
13 I did have a similar problem (but I knew it was heat, because I have the
14 gkrellm temp monitors displayed), and it was so bad that I could not
15 even run the computer without an external fan pointing into the box (the
16 sides have been off all the time). If I turned the fan off, I got
17 immediate segfaults, and I was unable to even boot the machine. Even
18 with the fan, it was running *extremely* hot (I'm talking about 70 to
19 over 100 degrees Celsius).
20
21 Finally, I realized that I was insane to even attempt to run like that,
22 and took the machine apart, to discover that the CPU fan was absolutely
23 clogged with dust and "stuff" (I have a cat, and her hair gets into
24 *everything*. A LOT of hair).
25
26 Cleaned out the CPU fan, and suddenly the box was running at like 48 degrees
27 C. Without the external fan.
28
29 It could be some kind of intermittent hardware issue in your case, but
30 heat is easy enough to check, and very well might be the problem.
31
32 HTH,
33 Holly
34 --