From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System shuts off on boot-up
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:44:44
1 On Wednesday 25 Jan 2012 20:23:33 BRM wrote:
2 > Well, just to follow up on this - I did get the nouveau driver working and
3 > the system operational.
4 >
5 > - The console still does not work; don't know why but it seems to not get a
6 > working resolution. Not sure how to fix that right now. - Starting XDM
7 > (KDM) works, and brings up the login.
8 > - I am able to SSH in from another system now.
9 >
10 > Now, this was after I paid a little closer attention to some updates. I
11 > resync'd emerge, and got the 3.1.6 linux kernel, which I promptly upgraded
12 > to. I also went back and rebuilt the X11 drivers (nouveau, keyboard,
13 > mouse, evdev), and paid closer attention to the output of the nouveau
14 > driver which immediately started off saying there was an issue with the
15 > ACPI_WMI and MXM_WMI interfaces from the kernel - another kernel rebuild
16 > after enabling those (it had when I selected the driver I think, but I
17 > kept disabling the x86 features which removed them) and then it didn't
18 > complain any longer.
19 >
20 > So, I seem to have a working X environment; but no working console
21 > environment for now. I'm guessing I probably need to tell the nouveau
22 > frame buffer driver what resolution to use to resolve that one.
23 >
24 > Thanks all!
25 >
26 > Ben
27 >
28 > >________________________________
29 > >
30 > > From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
31 > >
32 > >To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
33 > >Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:49 PM
34 > >Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System shuts off on boot-up
35 > >
36 > >> From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
37 > >> To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
38 > >> Cc:
39 > >> Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:50 AM
40 > >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System shuts off on boot-up
41 > >>
42 > >>> From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
43 > >>>