From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System shuts off on boot-up
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:31:34
1 Well, just to follow up on this - I did get the nouveau driver working and the system operational.
2
3 - The console still does not work; don't know why but it seems to not get a working resolution. Not sure how to fix that right now.
4 - Starting XDM (KDM) works, and brings up the login.
5 - I am able to SSH in from another system now.
6
7 Now, this was after I paid a little closer attention to some updates. I resync'd emerge, and got the 3.1.6 linux kernel, which I promptly upgraded to.
8 I also went back and rebuilt the X11 drivers (nouveau, keyboard, mouse, evdev), and paid closer attention to the output of the nouveau driver which immediately started off saying there was an issue with the ACPI_WMI and MXM_WMI interfaces from the kernel - another kernel rebuild after enabling those (it had when I selected the driver I think, but I kept disabling the x86 features which removed them) and then it didn't complain any longer.
9
10 So, I seem to have a working X environment; but no working console environment for now.
11 I'm guessing I probably need to tell the nouveau frame buffer driver what resolution to use to resolve that one.
12
13 Thanks all!
14
15 Ben
20 >________________________________
21 > From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
22 >To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
23 >Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:49 PM
24 >Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System shuts off on boot-up
25 >
26 >> From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
27 >> To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
28 >> Cc:
29 >> Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:50 AM
30 >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System shuts off on boot-up
31 >>
32 >>>  From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
33 >>