From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System shuts off on boot-up
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 01:52:01
1 > From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
2 > To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
3 > Cc:
4 > Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:50 AM
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System shuts off on boot-up
6 >
7 >> From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
8 >
9 >> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:57:31 -0800 (PST), BRM wrote:
10 >>> As the system starts to boot-up, it switches like it is going to start
11 >>> X - changing a video mode somehow. I don't have xdm in the
12 > runlevels
13 >>> yet, so it can't be starting XDM at all.This seems to happen right
14 >>> after udevd is started, while it waiting on the udev events. The system
15 >>> then just shuts off (power remain on - fans are still on, but monitors
16 >>> are off,  and nothing responds, etc.) , and it never completes boot-up.
17 >>
18 >> Do you have another computer you can use to test if it is alive with ping
19 >> or SSH? This is occurring around the point at which KMS kicks in, you may
20 >> be just losing your display but still have an otherwise working system.
23 > Yes SSH is enabled; no I can't SSH into it. It seems to be completely dead.
24 >
25 >> Try adding nomodeset (or intel.modeset=0) to your kernel boot parameters
26 >> to disable KMS.
29 > Ok. Setting "nomodeset" works. However, if I understand the nouveau
30 > driver correctly then that won't work for using the nouveau driver as it
31 > requires KMS.
32 >
33 > Digging a little deeper into the nouveau driver and KMS[1], I discovered that I
34 > probably need to have CONFIG_VT_HW_CONSOLE_BINDING set in the kernel config as
35 > well - which it wasn't. So that probably explains what was happening as
36 > CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE was set, so there may have been two drivers competing for fb0.
37 >
38 > Now off to build a new kernel...
39
40 Well, that doesn't seem to have been the only problem at least...still don't know what's doing it.
41
42 Ben