From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System shuts off on boot-up
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 16:52:15
1 > From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
2
3 >On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 19:57:31 -0800 (PST), BRM wrote:
4 >> As the system starts to boot-up, it switches like it is going to start
5 >> X - changing a video mode somehow. I don't have xdm in the runlevels
6 >> yet, so it can't be starting XDM at all.This seems to happen right
7 >> after udevd is started, while it waiting on the udev events. The system
8 >> then just shuts off (power remain on - fans are still on, but monitors
9 >> are off,  and nothing responds, etc.) , and it never completes boot-up.
10 >
11 >Do you have another computer you can use to test if it is alive with ping
12 >or SSH? This is occurring around the point at which KMS kicks in, you may
13 >be just losing your display but still have an otherwise working system.
16 Yes SSH is enabled; no I can't SSH into it. It seems to be completely dead.
17
18 >Try adding nomodeset (or intel.modeset=0) to your kernel boot parameters
19 >to disable KMS.
22 Ok. Setting "nomodeset" works. However, if I understand the nouveau driver correctly then that won't work for using the nouveau driver as it requires KMS.
23
24 Digging a little deeper into the nouveau driver and KMS[1], I discovered that I probably need to have CONFIG_VT_HW_CONSOLE_BINDING set in the kernel config as well - which it wasn't. So that probably explains what was happening as CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE was set, so there may have been two drivers competing for fb0.
25
26 Now off to build a new kernel...
27
28 Thanks,