To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] slow x
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:18:32
1 On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 08:42:49PM -0400, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
4 > > My x is a bit slow. Lets say I have a minimized web browser with a
5 > > page with pictures and text. If I maximize it, the drawing of the
6 > > page and the widgets doesn't happen instantly, but it takes a moment.
7 >
8 > Is this for all X apps, or just Firefox. If it's just text-rendering,
9 > try compiling Firefox with "moznopango" flag , either in /etc/make.conf
10 > or /etc/package.use. Note that this may disable non-English fonts.
11 >
12 > > I have a radeon 7500 , 512MB of RAM, 1,5GHz AMD
13 > > and fluxbox, 1.6.5-r1 x server.
14 >
15 > Is that 512MB the video card or your system ram? If it's 512MB system
16 > ram, that's probably your problem right there. Firefox will strain your
17 > system just by itself. Firefox is getting too bloated for its own good.
18 > SQL database and spell-check built in... what was the old joke about
19 > Mozilla 0.9... about:kitchen sink. Firefox is a mediocre operating
20 > system that lacks a lightweight web-browser.
21 >
22 > --
23 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 :)
27 I don't use firefox.
28 512MB is my system RAM, but I'm sure it's not the problem.
29 I have this problem with different applications, even with
30 epdfview.
31 I'm using webkit-gtk based browsers (midori, surf, uzbl).
32 The only app. which is drawn back instantly is xterm:)
33
34 So, it must be some configuration or build issue, because
35 of ubuntu livecd (it is working fast). I guess if it's
36 working fine from cd, it should work as well from hard drive.
37
38 Thanks,
39 bendeguz