From: Danny YUE <sheepduke@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What do you think about Firefox 57?
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 02:21:11
1 On 2017-09-11 01:19, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 09/07/2017 05:26 AM, Danny YUE wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >>
5 >> I have been using FoxyProxy in Firefox for a really long time, until
6 >> today I found its new version really sucks.
7 >>
8 >> Then I read the comment from author who declared that the old version
9 >> can *only* be used before (roughly) end of 2017 before Firefox 57 and in
10 >> new version some features must perish.
11 >>
12 >> Afterwards I found that it seems Firefox 57 will use a new ecosystem for
13 >> extensions and be more strict for plugin developers.
14 >>
15 >> So Firefox gurus, what do you think about it?
18 >> Danny
19 >>
20 > <user-hat>
21 > I switched to Pale Moon a while ago, though I suspect fewer and fewer
22 > mainstream sites will work with it as devs will begin requiring features
23 > enabled in newer Firefox and Chrome (e.g. WebRTC, EME, localStorage,
24 > etc). GitHub has already dropped support for Pale Moon, despite PM
25 > supporting just about everything GitHub makes use of.
26 >
27 > Losing XUL may be great from a security standpoint, but the feature-set
28 > is lacking, it negatively impacts performance (no cache sharing,
29 > blockers can't block correctly without a full render prior) and it all
30 > reeks of a code merge. Why else would Mozilla be putting all this work
31 > into looking *and* acting like Chrome? This behavior is that of a
32 > company that is looking to get out of the market. They've already
33 > abandoned their phone OS and their e-mail/calendar client. Firefox is
34 > just the final nail in the coffin. Servo isn't up to snuff yet, and the
35 > power users that gave Firefox its popularity are (like me) disinterested
36 > in what passes for "modern Web". Many websites are flat-out malicious,
37 > and more are insecure in general, largely due to feature creep in the
38 > browser. Without the ability to protect yourself, it becomes a risky
39 > decision to continue browsing a space filled with surveillance and
40 > malware. In short, it's a dumpster fire. Like all grim scenarios,
41 > however, there are sites out there that don't abuse people. But that
42 > number is dwindling every day.
43 >
44 > Aside from that, the hard requirement on PulseAudio is another strike
45 > against it, and their culture wrt diversity is off-putting. Mozilla
46 > isn't the Web leader it once was. To its credit, I don't think any
47 > organization is "leading" the Web well. With the W3C approving DRM as a
48 > standard in HTTP, it indicates a corporate acquisition of the standards
49 > body, and it's no longer fit for purpose. We need a browser that is
50 > opinionated and sticks to the standards that make sense, and hands
51 > control of media to other programs. That would severely simplify the
52 > browser, and leverage software that's generally already on a computer.
53 > Web browsers as they are are fine for netbooks, which have little in the
54 > way of system software. But for desktop machines, at least, most things
55 > can be handed to a media player, PDF viewer, etc. The code's already
56 > there: there are handlers for different protocols like irc:, mailto:,
57 > torrent:, etc. Adding handlers via MIME-type would be fine.
58 >
59 > As it is, I already don't read much on the Web. The experience has
60 > become crap, even with blocking extensions. More trouble than it's
61 > worth, most of the time. I have better things to do than endlessly tweak
62 > my privacy just so sites don't slurp up all the metadata they can on my
63 > connection. uBO, Privacy Badger, uMatrix, and others are great -- huge
64 > jumps in quality compared to their predecessors -- but the rampant
65 > misuse of the medium leaves me disinterested in the Web.
66 >
67 > So few websites these days are designed with graceful degradation in
68 > mind, let alone accessibility. It's all ECMAscript bells and whistles,
69 > web "apps", etc. to the point where you have two systems: your Gentoo
70 > system and your Web browser. I try to reduce complexity where possible,
71 > balanced against safety. That leads me to an upstream who won't screw
72 > with my interface and disrupt the add-on ecosystem because "this is
73 > better for you".
74 >
75 > Based on what I've read so far, Moonchild is up front about any
76 > breakage, and warns about unsupported compilers or settings. One of our
77 > regulars (Walter Dnes) helps maintain PM for us, too, so that's even
78 > better. :)
79 >
80 > But to be fair, I'll try it out when 57 is released so I have a stronger
81 > opinion. I suspect I will be let down.
82 > </user-hat>
83
84 Such a long response, thank you Daniel.
85
86 I don't know if adding DRM into HTTP protocol is a good idea.
87 Maybe it does help reduce spreading of pirate, but HTTP then somehow
88 works beyond "transfer".
89
90 Personally speaking, I prefer to be able to pick software in a grand
91 market, instead of integrate everything into one big monster with
92 security/privacy holes.
93
94 I would like to try 57 also (with old Firefox profile backup).
97 Danny