From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What do you think about Firefox 57?
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 01:20:18
1 On 09/07/2017 05:26 AM, Danny YUE wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I have been using FoxyProxy in Firefox for a really long time, until
5 > today I found its new version really sucks.
6 >
7 > Then I read the comment from author who declared that the old version
8 > can *only* be used before (roughly) end of 2017 before Firefox 57 and in
9 > new version some features must perish.
10 >
11 > Afterwards I found that it seems Firefox 57 will use a new ecosystem for
12 > extensions and be more strict for plugin developers.
13 >
14 > So Firefox gurus, what do you think about it?
17 > Danny
18 >
19 <user-hat>
20 I switched to Pale Moon a while ago, though I suspect fewer and fewer
21 mainstream sites will work with it as devs will begin requiring features
22 enabled in newer Firefox and Chrome (e.g. WebRTC, EME, localStorage,
23 etc). GitHub has already dropped support for Pale Moon, despite PM
24 supporting just about everything GitHub makes use of.
25
26 Losing XUL may be great from a security standpoint, but the feature-set
27 is lacking, it negatively impacts performance (no cache sharing,
28 blockers can't block correctly without a full render prior) and it all
29 reeks of a code merge. Why else would Mozilla be putting all this work
30 into looking *and* acting like Chrome? This behavior is that of a
31 company that is looking to get out of the market. They've already
32 abandoned their phone OS and their e-mail/calendar client. Firefox is
33 just the final nail in the coffin. Servo isn't up to snuff yet, and the
34 power users that gave Firefox its popularity are (like me) disinterested
35 in what passes for "modern Web". Many websites are flat-out malicious,
36 and more are insecure in general, largely due to feature creep in the
37 browser. Without the ability to protect yourself, it becomes a risky
38 decision to continue browsing a space filled with surveillance and
39 malware. In short, it's a dumpster fire. Like all grim scenarios,
40 however, there are sites out there that don't abuse people. But that
41 number is dwindling every day.
42
43 Aside from that, the hard requirement on PulseAudio is another strike
44 against it, and their culture wrt diversity is off-putting. Mozilla
45 isn't the Web leader it once was. To its credit, I don't think any
46 organization is "leading" the Web well. With the W3C approving DRM as a
47 standard in HTTP, it indicates a corporate acquisition of the standards
48 body, and it's no longer fit for purpose. We need a browser that is
49 opinionated and sticks to the standards that make sense, and hands
50 control of media to other programs. That would severely simplify the
51 browser, and leverage software that's generally already on a computer.
52 Web browsers as they are are fine for netbooks, which have little in the
53 way of system software. But for desktop machines, at least, most things
54 can be handed to a media player, PDF viewer, etc. The code's already
55 there: there are handlers for different protocols like irc:, mailto:,
56 torrent:, etc. Adding handlers via MIME-type would be fine.
57
58 As it is, I already don't read much on the Web. The experience has
59 become crap, even with blocking extensions. More trouble than it's
60 worth, most of the time. I have better things to do than endlessly tweak
61 my privacy just so sites don't slurp up all the metadata they can on my
62 connection. uBO, Privacy Badger, uMatrix, and others are great -- huge
63 jumps in quality compared to their predecessors -- but the rampant
64 misuse of the medium leaves me disinterested in the Web.
65
66 So few websites these days are designed with graceful degradation in
67 mind, let alone accessibility. It's all ECMAscript bells and whistles,
68 web "apps", etc. to the point where you have two systems: your Gentoo
69 system and your Web browser. I try to reduce complexity where possible,
70 balanced against safety. That leads me to an upstream who won't screw
71 with my interface and disrupt the add-on ecosystem because "this is
72 better for you".
73
74 Based on what I've read so far, Moonchild is up front about any
75 breakage, and warns about unsupported compilers or settings. One of our
76 regulars (Walter Dnes) helps maintain PM for us, too, so that's even
77 better. :)
78
79 But to be fair, I'll try it out when 57 is released so I have a stronger
80 opinion. I suspect I will be let down.
81 </user-hat>
82 --
83 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer, Trustee, Treasurer
84 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
85 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6