From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 20:01:41
1 Am Fri, 16 May 2014 07:14:27 -0400
2 schrieb covici@××××××××××.com:
3
4 [...]
5 > Also, what kernel do you need for this to
6 > function -- and last question, how to convert an lvm volume to btrfs, or
7 > do you just have to make some space somewhere and copy the files?
8
9 I am not aware of being able to directly convert an LV; copying your files from
10 a backup (or whatever) to a newly created btrfs is AFAIK your only option. You
11 can directly convert Ext4 partitions, though (and even revert), though I have
12 not tried this myself.
13
14 As to the kernel version, the recommendation is to use the most recent stable
15 versions of the kernel and btrfs-progs.
16
17 > So far, I have liked lvm, what's the advantage of btrfs over lvm?
18
19 I also liked LVM while I had it, but I like btrfs even more :) . But yeah, this
20 has already been thoroughly answered. Additionally, you can also check the
21 thread "planned btrfs conversion: questions", which I started, where others also
22 posted their experiences with btrfs (and ZFS, too, to a smaller degree).
25 Marc Joliet
26 --
27 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
28 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup