From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 11:14:35
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 16/05/2014 12:04, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 > > Whatever gets rid of LVM is good on my book. I've never understood why
5 > > people uses it, and in my experience it only brings headaches.
6 > > Besides, I've heard from many people that btrfs is the way to go in
7 > > the future. I'm not ready to make the change yet, but I will at some
8 > > point.
11 > LVM is an excellent solution for what it was designed to do, which is to
12 > deal with stuff like this:
13 >
14 > Oops. I misjudged how big /var/log needed to be and now I need to add
15 > 50G to that partition. But it's sda6 and I have up to sda8. Arggghhhhh!
16 > Now I need 5 hour downtime to play 15-pieces with fdisk.
17 >
18 > LVM makes that 2 commands and 12 seconds. Yes, it's a bit complex and
19 > you have to hold the PV/VG/LV model in your head, but it also *fixes*
20 > the issue with rigid MSDOS partition style.
21 >
22 > Modern filesystems like ZFS and btrfs sidestep the need for LVM in a
23 > really elegant and wonderful way, none of which changes the fact that
24 > ZFS/btrfs weren't around when LVM was first coded.
25
26 So is btrfs ready for production -- all the tools work, etc. to the
27 level that the ext2/3/4 work? Also, what kernel do you need for this to
28 function -- and last question, how to convert an lvm volume to btrfs, or
29 do you just have to make some space somewhere and copy the files?
30
31 So far, I have liked lvm, what's the advantage of btrfs over lvm?
35 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
36 How do
37 you spend it?
38
39 John Covici