From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 11:07:24
1 On 16/05/2014 12:04, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > Whatever gets rid of LVM is good on my book. I've never understood why
3 > people uses it, and in my experience it only brings headaches.
4 > Besides, I've heard from many people that btrfs is the way to go in
5 > the future. I'm not ready to make the change yet, but I will at some
6 > point.
9 LVM is an excellent solution for what it was designed to do, which is to
10 deal with stuff like this:
11
12 Oops. I misjudged how big /var/log needed to be and now I need to add
13 50G to that partition. But it's sda6 and I have up to sda8. Arggghhhhh!
14 Now I need 5 hour downtime to play 15-pieces with fdisk.
15
16 LVM makes that 2 commands and 12 seconds. Yes, it's a bit complex and
17 you have to hold the PV/VG/LV model in your head, but it also *fixes*
18 the issue with rigid MSDOS partition style.
19
20 Modern filesystems like ZFS and btrfs sidestep the need for LVM in a
21 really elegant and wonderful way, none of which changes the fact that
22 ZFS/btrfs weren't around when LVM was first coded.
26 Alan McKinnon
27 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com