From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 10:04:47
1 On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 > Am 15.05.2014 20:33, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
3 >> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
4 >>> Am 15.05.2014 20:05, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
5 >>>
6 >>>> With -H, you don't get the kernel cmdline, and therefore your kernel
7 >>>> cannot load your LVM volumes since it doesn't know their... names? I
8 >>>> don't knot the terminology.
9 >>>>
10 >>>> In any case, you need to set --hostonly-cmdline (or
11 >>>> hostonly_cmdline="yes" in the config file), *besides* -H.
12 >>>
13 >>> ok ... I pulled your changes (kerninst) from github ... on the web I see
14 >>> it, but it doesn't get into my copy here ... strange.
15 >>>
16 >>> As I don't need it right now, I will (a) wait or (b) edit manually.
17 >>>
18 >>> No problem.
19 >>
20 >> I actually *removed* -H from kerninst. That should be configured in
21 >> the user's dracut.conf; now I have:
22 >>
23 >> hostonly="yes"
24 >> hostonly_cmdline="yes"
25 >>
26 >> in my dracut.conf.
27 >
28 > Yes, I understood ... thanks.
29 >
30 > Aside from that a more general question:
31 >
32 > Does it it any way help to have a *small* (= as small as possible)
33 > initramfs?
34 >
35 > Maybe on embedded systems but on the big multi-GB-ram-machines we use it
36 > doesn't make much difference, right?
37
38 AFAIU, no, it doesn't. As long as the (uncompressed) initramfs fits
39 into the RAM, its size doesn't matter.
40
41 > I ask because in all my reorganizing furor I also thought that now with
42 > btrfs only I could get rid of "lvm mdraid" as dracut-modules. I can try
43 > ... ;-) (don't call me "ricer")
44
45 Whatever gets rid of LVM is good on my book. I've never understood why
46 people uses it, and in my experience it only brings headaches.
47 Besides, I've heard from many people that btrfs is the way to go in
48 the future. I'm not ready to make the change yet, but I will at some
49 point.
50
51 > Additional in this context: does it make a noticeable difference which
52 > "Kernel compression mode" you choose? I assume it is again an issue for
53 > systems with (a) small boot-partitions and/or (b) slower CPUs to select
54 > something special here.
55
56 Given the size of the kernel, I don't thin the difference can be
57 humanly measured.
58
59 > I checked and see that I use LZ4 anyway already ... seems to be the
60 > fastest to unpack as far as I understand the help text.
61
62 It will be a difference of microseconds, if not nanoseconds. I
63 honestly don't think it matters at all.
64
65 > And then, who writes the howto condensed out of this thread? ;-)
66 > Much to learn and understand as always, I appreciate it a lot.
67
68 Regards.
69 --
70 Canek Peláez Valdés
71 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias