From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 09:46:40
1 Am 15.05.2014 20:33, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
2 > On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 1:27 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
3 >> Am 15.05.2014 20:05, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
4 >>
5 >>> With -H, you don't get the kernel cmdline, and therefore your kernel
6 >>> cannot load your LVM volumes since it doesn't know their... names? I
7 >>> don't knot the terminology.
8 >>>
9 >>> In any case, you need to set --hostonly-cmdline (or
10 >>> hostonly_cmdline="yes" in the config file), *besides* -H.
11 >>
12 >> ok ... I pulled your changes (kerninst) from github ... on the web I see
13 >> it, but it doesn't get into my copy here ... strange.
14 >>
15 >> As I don't need it right now, I will (a) wait or (b) edit manually.
16 >>
17 >> No problem.
18 >
19 > I actually *removed* -H from kerninst. That should be configured in
20 > the user's dracut.conf; now I have:
21 >
22 > hostonly="yes"
23 > hostonly_cmdline="yes"
24 >
25 > in my dracut.conf.
26
27 Yes, I understood ... thanks.
28
29 Aside from that a more general question:
30
31 Does it it any way help to have a *small* (= as small as possible)
32 initramfs?
33
34 Maybe on embedded systems but on the big multi-GB-ram-machines we use it
35 doesn't make much difference, right?
36
37 I ask because in all my reorganizing furor I also thought that now with
38 btrfs only I could get rid of "lvm mdraid" as dracut-modules. I can try
39 ... ;-) (don't call me "ricer")
40
41 Additional in this context: does it make a noticeable difference which
42 "Kernel compression mode" you choose? I assume it is again an issue for
43 systems with (a) small boot-partitions and/or (b) slower CPUs to select
44 something special here.
45
46 I checked and see that I use LZ4 anyway already ... seems to be the
47 fastest to unpack as far as I understand the help text.
48
49 -
50
51 And then, who writes the howto condensed out of this thread? ;-)
52 Much to learn and understand as always, I appreciate it a lot.
53
54 Stefan