From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 10:54:58
1 On 5/16/2014 6:04 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Whatever gets rid of LVM is good on my book. I've never understood why
3 > people uses it, and in my experience it only brings headaches.
4
5 One very big reason to have been using it on linux - since it is only
6 relatively recently that zfs has been an option, and now btrfs is
7 getting there - and about the only reason I use it, is for snapshots,
8 which bring consistent point-in-time backups for things like mail
9 servers....
10
11 Others use it for it filesystem resizing abilities, but I've only had to
12 do this once or twice and that was a long time ago - but, I was able to
13 do it... :)
14
15 Yes, zfs, and now btrfs, now offer much better support for both of these
16 and then some, but they weren't around/available for linux until
17 relatively recently, which LVM was stable and mature.