From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: LVM
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 12:53:01
1 Am 16.05.2014 13:06, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2
3 > LVM is an excellent solution for what it was designed to do, which is to
4 > deal with stuff like this:
5 >
6 > Oops. I misjudged how big /var/log needed to be and now I need to add
7 > 50G to that partition. But it's sda6 and I have up to sda8. Arggghhhhh!
8 > Now I need 5 hour downtime to play 15-pieces with fdisk.
9 >
10 > LVM makes that 2 commands and 12 seconds. Yes, it's a bit complex and
11 > you have to hold the PV/VG/LV model in your head, but it also *fixes*
12 > the issue with rigid MSDOS partition style.
13 >
14 > Modern filesystems like ZFS and btrfs sidestep the need for LVM in a
15 > really elegant and wonderful way, none of which changes the fact that
16 > ZFS/btrfs weren't around when LVM was first coded.
17
18 exactly. I loved LVM when it was new as it was a way to get the
19 mentioned capability to resize filesystems and underlying "partitions".
20
21 And I still use it for servers, creating a VG on the mdadm-RAID-array
22 and only providing a part of it for the customers ... if they then fill
23 up their samba-shares with cat pictures I can easily ssh in and give
24 them some more space in a minute ... that is nice to have!
25
26 OK, I also had some issues with LVM over the years ... but not in a
27 regular way, more when physical volumes got flaky or so. In general it
28 just works for me (and show me one piece of tech where you are
29 guaranteed to not have issues with ...)
30
31 But sure, now I also think of using btrfs on one of the next fileservers
32 I deliver ... and instead of using rsnapshots to give customers a
33 readonly history of their data there could be btrfs-snapshots.
34
35 time changes, things develop ...
36
37 Stefan