From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 19:50:25
1 Am Fri, 16 May 2014 13:06:41 +0200
2 schrieb Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
3
4 > On 16/05/2014 12:04, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 > > Whatever gets rid of LVM is good on my book. I've never understood why
6 > > people uses it, and in my experience it only brings headaches.
7 > > Besides, I've heard from many people that btrfs is the way to go in
8 > > the future. I'm not ready to make the change yet, but I will at some
9 > > point.
12 > LVM is an excellent solution for what it was designed to do, which is to
13 > deal with stuff like this:
14 >
15 > Oops. I misjudged how big /var/log needed to be and now I need to add
16 > 50G to that partition. But it's sda6 and I have up to sda8. Arggghhhhh!
17 > Now I need 5 hour downtime to play 15-pieces with fdisk.
18 >
19 > LVM makes that 2 commands and 12 seconds. Yes, it's a bit complex and
20 > you have to hold the PV/VG/LV model in your head, but it also *fixes*
21 > the issue with rigid MSDOS partition style.
22
23 This is precisely why I switched to RAID + LVM several years ago, instead of
24 just RAID. No, wait, that's not correct: I remember now that I in fact started
25 with just LVM on two differently-sized disks.
26
27 But even without a RAID underneath, you can manage multiple disks (PVs) in one
28 or more VGs and do stuff like move partitions between disks.
29
30 > Modern filesystems like ZFS and btrfs sidestep the need for LVM in a
31 > really elegant and wonderful way, none of which changes the fact that
32 > ZFS/btrfs weren't around when LVM was first coded.
33
34 And this is one of the reasons why I switched to btrfs now :) .
37 Marc Joliet
38 --
39 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
40 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup