From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 00:18:42
1 On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 01:06:41PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
2 >
3 > LVM is an excellent solution for what it was designed to do, which is to
4 > deal with stuff like this:
5 >
6 > Oops. I misjudged how big /var/log needed to be and now I need to add
7 > 50G to that partition. But it's sda6 and I have up to sda8. Arggghhhhh!
8 > Now I need 5 hour downtime to play 15-pieces with fdisk.
9 >
10 > LVM makes that 2 commands and 12 seconds. Yes, it's a bit complex and
11 > you have to hold the PV/VG/LV model in your head, but it also *fixes*
12 > the issue with rigid MSDOS partition style.
13
14 The concept of "Logical Volume Management" is also useful for an
15 encryption/decryption layer on top of an encrypted USB key. lvm2 is a
16 mandatory dependancy for cryptsetup.
19 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
20 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications