From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Dell XPS16 for Christmas?
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:33:34
1 On Friday 20 November 2009 17:43:20 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:16 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > 2009/11/20 J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>:
4 > >> On Sunday 15 November 2009 19:39:40 Mick wrote:
5 > >>> I have been thinking of buying this laptop and was looking at the
6 > >>> Gentoo Wiki which shows relatively good hardware compatibility, except
7 > >>> for the radeon card which is now an older offering:
8 > >>>
9 > >>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Dell_Studio_XPS_16
10 > >>>
11 > >>> The current spec on the UK Dell website shows 1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 4670
12 > >>> (see below).
13 > >>>
14 ================================================================
15 > >>> PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 720QM (1.60Ghz, 6MB cache)
16 > >>> LCD: Black Leather back cover : 15.6" (inch) Truelife 1080p Full HD
17 > >>> WLED Edge to Edge Display
18 > >>> MEMORY: 4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]
19 > >>> HARD DRIVE: 500GB (7,200rpm) Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive
20 > >>> PRIMARY BATTERY: 9-cell 85Whr Lithium Ion battery
21 > >>> OPTICAL DRIVE: Internal Blu-Ray ROM (Blu-Ray read, DVD and CD
22 > >>> read & Write) Optical Drive
23 > >>> GRAPHICS CARD: 1GB ATI® Radeon™ HD 4670 graphics card
24 > >>> WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY: Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g)
25 > >>> BLUETOOTH: Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module
26 > >>>
27 ================================================================
28 > >>>
29 > >>> According to these links the RadeonHD driver is experimental:
30 > >>> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeon
31 > >>> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonhd%3Aexperimental_3D
32 > >>>
33 > >>> Does anyone have experience with this driver, or better yet, this
34 > >>> laptop? Shall I buy or shall I shy away from it?
35 > >>
36 > >> Most Dell-laptops actually work quite nicely with Linux, however, be
37 > >> aware that DELL has issues with the harddrives they supply.
38 > >> I've seen 6 different recent DELL-laptops with crashed harddrives in the
39 > >> past 1.5 years. These laptops were handled carefully.
40 > >>
41 > >> Response from Dell was: "Sorry, we shipped a wrong batch...."
42 > >>
43 > >> I would suggest frequent backups of important files and/or the harddrive
44 > >> swapped for a more reliable model.
45 > >
46 > > Thanks guys - the hard drive story sounds scary! Was there a
47 > > particular batch of a particular hard drive manufacturer that was
48 > > suspect here?
49 >
50 > I think you could mention any brand of hard drive and people would
51 > have horror stories about it. Hard drives are like airplanes; they
52 > tend to fail spectacularly. The good news is that if you had to choose
53 > one part of a laptop to go bad, the hard drive would probably be the
54 > easiest piece to replace (or maybe RAM). Certainly better than a trend
55 > of failing display panels!
56
57 In this case they were Seagates, but as mentioned, all manufacturers make
58 mistakes.
59 The last Dell that had a crashed harddrive (after 3 months of use, 2 weeks
60 ago) had a Seagate - ST9160823ASG.
61
62 > I've owned a couple Dell computers personally and overseen dozens of
63 > them at work and they are generally good value and perform without
64 > issues. Their business division's customer service (at least a few
65 > years ago) was pretty good, they would send someone to our office the
66 > next morning to fix the problem.
67
68 These were for a business customer (A big one) and all Dell offered was
69 sending replacement drives to the seperate users' homes or their nearest
70 offices.
71
72 > I would also check out the Asus G51J-A1 which is a similar set-up to
73 > the Dell. It seems to be a good package for the price too.
74
75 Getting into the preferences of brands here, so I will refrain from
76 commenting.
77 One thing to still keep in mind, Asus does not really care about Linux users
78 either. Is there a decent laptop-brand that actually does?
81 Joost