From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Dell XPS16 for Christmas?
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 19:41:19
1 On 20 Nov 2009, at 17:33, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > ...
3 >> I've owned a couple Dell computers personally and overseen dozens of
4 >> them at work and they are generally good value and perform without
5 >> issues. Their business division's customer service (at least a few
6 >> years ago) was pretty good, they would send someone to our office the
7 >> next morning to fix the problem.
8 >
9 > These were for a business customer (A big one) and all Dell offered
10 > was
11 > sending replacement drives to the seperate users' homes or their
12 > nearest
13 > offices.
14
15 Dell offer different service levels to their business customers.
16
17 One site of mine has just the bronze - I assume this is an upgrade
18 over the basic, because even though they offer silver & gold, the
19 bronze gets someone on site the next day to fit the replacement parts.
20
21 From the EXCELLENT service the one time we've called Dell on this, I
22 doubt very much that they would say "sorry, it has to be the company's
23 registered office" and refuse to make the visit to the location at
24 which the hardware was actually deployed. In fact, they had this
25 customer's previous office location on file when we called them, the
26 office the customer had moved out of 2 years before, and they were
27 happy to accommodate us at the new one.
28
29 Of course, this does you no good at all regarding installation /
30 customisation of the operating system, but surely it is unrealistic to
31 expect that?
32
33 Hard-drives fail, if you don't plan for that then you're asking for it.
34
35 Stroller.