From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:22:10
1 On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 02:21 -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 > > Bill Kenworthy wrote:
4 > >> On Mon, 2011-07-11 at 00:03 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 > >>> Mark Knecht wrote:
6 > >>>> DAle,
7 > >> Hi Dale, not quite the same but something else to check - after my
8 > >> 6monthly update round, I had two systems where FF refused to run - just
9 > >> flashed up died. Erase .mozilla allowed one restart where I got a
10 > >> window, any attempt to configure it killed FF.
11 > >>
12 > >> This is on gnome, not KDE so while symptoms differ, it may still be the
13 > >> same root cause - some of the underlying packages needed rebuilding - it
14 > >> was (maybe) nss and dev-lang/spidermonkey. Sorry, had a lot going on so
15 > >> cant be more specific - it was strace that tipped me off (how I cant
16 > >> remember).
17 > >>
18 > >> BillK
19 > >>
20 > >
21 > > I'm going to try a clean directory for it here in a minute. I'm going
22 > > to back up my whole home directory for good measure.
23 > >
24 > > I'm not holding my breath but I'll cross my fingers just in case.
25 > >
26 > > Dale
27 > >
28 > > :-) :-)
31 > OK. This is better. It seems to work. Can someone explain how a bad
32 > config file in Firefox can cause a kernel panic? I thought things like
33 > this was not possible? This sounds so windowish. o_O
34 >
35 > Thanks for all the help. It seems we had not one but two problems. If
36 > it wasn't for bad luck . . . . . .
37 >
38 > Dale
39 >
43 For me it wasnt the config file itself - but something the config did
44 that dragged in another library that caused the grief. Once I fixed
45 that I copied ythe old config back from the last backup and it kept
46 working.
47
48 BillK