From: lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Waaaaaay [OT] Windoze back-up. Sorry to ask. :-(
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 04:40:38
1 On Wednesday 03 May 2006 07:58 pm, Teresa and Dale wrote:
2 > lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com wrote:
3 > >Set up a Samba server... hmm... KDE Control Centre has a excellent
4 > > interface for that. Very easy.
5 > >
6 > >In a related story...
7 > >
8 > >The first time I used Samba to do some network transfers I spent ten
9 > > minutes checking file intergrity. It went so darn fast... I was sure
10 > > something was wrong. No, it's just that windoze networking is so darn
11 > > slow! It's now a pain to do anything windoze-to-windoze! Linux and
12 > > Samba is so much faster!
13 >
14 > I tried the KDE setup but still no go. I think I need to change
15 > something in the Linksys router, I'm not sure what though. I think it
16 > is working on the Linux end. I can ping the windoze box from my Linux
17 > box but I don't know how to do anything on the windoze side. Pointers??
18
19 Windows XP?
20
21 My Computer >> My Network Places or something like that.
22
23 I swear, Windows has been so inconsistent over the years! I loved how
24 networking was organized in 98SE, but in XP the only way to find the network
25 neighbourhood area is through a back door in the network settings whatever...
26 it's insane.
27
28 > Clueless.
29