From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: "Nuno J. Silva" <nunojsilva@×××××××.pt>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bug about possibly incomplete bugfix
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 17:32:03
1 On Saturday 10 July 2010 19:21:28 Nuno J. Silva wrote:
2 > (I asked this on IRC more than an hour ago, got no reply, so here goes
3 > it to the list.)
4 >
5 > What's the policy when you think that a change made due to a FIXED bug
6 > needs more changes? Should you just comment it, fill another bug or
7 > change the state (I can't do the later, anyway)?
8 >
9 > As an example (the one I am dealing with, bug 283744), I found out a
10 > package was changed to add a behavior which wasn't documented in the
11 > ebuild.
12 >
13 > On one hand, the suggestion to add elog messages should belong to the
14 > original bug (now RESOLVED FIXED).
15 >
16 > But on the other hand this is a new problem introduced by the fix for
17 > that first bug, and then should have its own request.
18 >
19 > (And, as I can't change the first bug - which is FIXED, a separate bug
20 > would be initially marked as OPEN, which suits the case of a new, IMHO
21 > still unsolved issue.)
22 >
23 > But what's the most polite thing to do?
26 Open a new bug and refer to the old one. Let the bug owner decide what's the
27 best thing to do next.
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com