From: Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:55:19
1 On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > Apparently, though unproven, at 14:03 on Tuesday 26 October 2010, Roger
4 > Cahn
5 > did opine thusly:
6 >
7 > > Hi,
8 > >
9 > > I want to buy a laptop Asus N series,
10 > > but could anybody tell me if its possible
11 > > to use it with Gentoo-Linux?
12 > > And in case of yes, if it's a good choice?
13 > > Thank you
14 > > Roger
17 > Does it have Intel cpus? Then you can use it.
18 > Will it work with the supplied wifi card? I haven't the foggiest clue
19 > mostly
20 > as I don't know what card it has.
21 >
22 > To get a sensible answer on a question like that, you MUST supply the
23 > entire
24 > spec of all the hardware you intend to buy. Only then can people offer an
25 > opinion on how good or otherwise the drivers are.
26 >
27 > The way you composed that mail, everyone else will need to do the research
28 > on
29 > the hardware for you. Most of us would rather you did that bit yourself.
32 > --
33 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
36 If you are able to run on a laptop like this the commands:
37 lspci
38 cat /proc/cpuinfo
39
40 It will give a good insight of the spec of this laptop.
41 I would take with me a live gentoo cd and try to run it on this laptop in
42 the store.
43
44 One more thing, If the wireless card is not supported, I think that you can
45 buy one that is supported by linux for 30$.
46 Just make sure you know how to change the cards.
47
48 Reagards,
49 Kfir