From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Symlinked directories and rsync
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 09:00:12
1 On Saturday, 19 August 2017 06:33:27 BST John Covici wrote:
2 > On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 00:56:55 -0400,
3 >
4 > Walter Dnes wrote:
5 > > I've RTFM'd, and it looks like there is no way to get rsync to copy
6 > >
7 > > over symlinked directories as symlinks. E.g. I build Pale Moon browser
8 > > from source for 3 machines at home. I prefer downloading the source
9 > > once and symlinking to it from 3 different working directories. I also
10 > > have a personal project where I analyze the same text data files in 3
11 > > different ways. It makes things so much simpler to use the same code,
12 > > with different runtime parameters. So I symlink the main data directory
13 > > to 3 working directories. Even "better" (or worse) I've got a situation
14 > > where I symlink directories to... other symlinked directories. Yes;
15 > > symlinks pointing to symlinks work, even for directories.
16 > >
17 > > Unfortunately, rsync will not create a symlink where appropriate, but
18 > >
19 > > will de-reference the symlink, and duplicate multiple gigabytes of data
20 > > needlessly. I eventually gave up trying, and made a tarball, and pushed
21 > > it over to my "hot backup" machine, and extracted it there. That works
22 > > OK for the initial setup, but is painfull for "minor incremental"
23 > > updates.
24 > >
25 > > Am I missing something glaringly obvious, or is this a limitation of
26 > >
27 > > rsync? If so, is there another tool that can copy over symlinked
28 > > directories properly?
29 >
30 > I always use -av which copies simlinks correctly. -H is necessary to
31 > copy hardlinks. If you need it -l also ensures this.
32
33 I've also found that 'rsync -a -l' does the job, but other tools exist to
34 achieve the same:
35
36 https://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_node/Incremental-Dumps.html
37