From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Symlinked directories and rsync
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 16:42:05
1 On 2017-08-19 09:59, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > > Am I missing something glaringly obvious, or is this a limitation
4 > > > of rsync? If so, is there another tool that can copy over
5 > > > symlinked directories properly?
6 > >
7 > > I always use -av which copies simlinks correctly. -H is necessary
8 > > to copy hardlinks. If you need it -l also ensures this.
9 >
10 > I've also found that 'rsync -a -l' does the job, but other tools exist
11 > to achieve the same:
12 >
13 > https://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_node/Incremental-Dumps.html
14 >
15 > https://linux.die.net/man/1/star (look for the section 'Incremental Backups'
16
17 For the purposes about which Walter asks, I do not symlink directories,
18 I symlink the files. IOW, I create what is known as "symlink farms".
19 There are also multiple tools for doing that:
20
21 1. lndir, in the x11-misc/lndir package on gentoo
22
23 2. on a GNU system, cp -rsT
24
25 3. symlink-tree script in older releases of GNU automake (on my gentoo
26 system, in the sys-devel/automake-1.11.6-r1 package)
29 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
30 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
31 Do obvious transformation on domain to reply privately _only_ on Usenet.