From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Wireless sound card?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 22:20:01
1 > > ....All I want to do is
2 > > send my laptop's audio output to an external sound card which I am
3 > > connected to wirelessly. Does anyone know of such a device?
4 >
5 > I'll bet there's Linux software to allow you to do this with an Apple
6 > Airport Express, but that might be too much (money), too.
7
8 That device isn't too expensive, but I don't think it is designed to
9 do what I want to do even if it did work with Linux. This article:
10
11 http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/35816.html
12
13 is about a programmer cracking the device and it says:
14
15 "Johansen's efforts will enable users to escape the exclusive lock on
16 iTunes music and stream music in AAC format (used in iTunes) from
17 other applications."
18
19 That sounds like the wrong kind of data is sent from the computer to
20 the Airport. I just want the raw to-be-processed-by-sound-card data
21 to be sent from the computer to the external sound card. That way I
22 can use any digital source of music I like.
23 Gentoo+VMware+Windows+Musicmatch+OnDemand is my favorite.
24
25 > The cheap way to to this seems to be US Robotics' SoundLink system -
26 > a Google revealed many similar devices with or without built-in
27 > speakers and around the £70 - £80 mark.
28 > http://www.usr.com/products/device/p-device-product.asp?sku=USR6003
29
30 That's much more like it, but it broadcasts from the
31 computer+transmitter to the receiver by way of FM radio. That will
32 hurt sound quality. Have you seen anything like that that operates
33 via 802.11?
34
35 Ideally, this device would receive the to-be-processed-by-sound-card
36 data from the laptop in the digital realm. It would then convert it
37 to an analog signal and output it via standard RCA cables. It would
38 also have a digital-out option which would bypass the internal sound
39 card and connect to any standalone DAC (digital-to-analog convertor)
40 via SPDIF for even more control over the quality of the sound. There
41 are many devices just like this, except they want to play your music
42 for you. I just need something to pass the ready-to-go information
43 along.
44
45 - Grant
46