From: PaulNM <gentoo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Is there a gcc-4.1.1 alternative?
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 07:44:27
1 Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > I'm fed up with this. I've restarted the emerge of gcc-4.1.1-r3 on my
3 > server box four times now. It always gets to compiling insn-attrtab.o
4 > and then it never stops. I even went into the Makefile to find the
5 > exact command used to compile this particular object file and ran the
6 > command manually. It only took half an hour, but when I told it to
7 > emerge sys-devel/gcc, I guess it didn't like my manually built file, so
8 > it's doing it over again. This time it's been trying to build this file
9 > for over eight hours.
10 >
11 > 4499 root 18 0 132m 35m 416 R 1.5 60.2 8:41.94 cc1
12
13 I once experienced something similar on my [i686 Pentium II (Klamath)]
14 server. I don't remember exactly what part of gcc was compiling at the
15 time of the "hang", but I found switching kernel versions helped.
16 According to top, kswapd0 was very busy, basically using up most of the
17 systems resources. Ssh'ing in was very slow due to that and the gcc
18 compile. I stopped and restarted it twice after letting it run over
19 night (8+ hrs). Normal compile time is "genlop -t gcc" about 4hrs and
20 15mins.
21
22 Googling kswapd0 showed it's related to the kernel swapping pages in and
23 out. My system was swapping like nuts, but shouldn't have.
24 This is a good example of that happening :
25 http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2005-May/046804.html
26
27 You might want to try rebooting, or changing swapiness values to see if
28 that helps. In my case there was a gentoo-sources update at the same
29 time, so I just let that build and restarted.
30
31 > 4499 root 18 0 132m 35m 416 R 1.5 60.2 8:41.94 cc1
32
33 According to this cc1 is only using 1.5% of cpu, and about 60% of ram.
34 What does "free" give you, and does kswapd0 keep jumping up and down in
35 terms of cpu%?
38 PaulNM
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list