From: Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Laptop: Thinkpad T43: Disks Very Slow Under Load, Were Fast in the Past
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 03:47:00
1 On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 10:38 PM, fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I'm running gentoo on an IBM Thinkpad T43. In the past, disk access was
5 > fine under load (CPU or disk). These days, the disk becomes painfully
6 > slow under moderate to high CPU usage (such as compiling) or copying
7 > more than a few MB. GUI's become almost totally unresponsive and at
8 > times I have to down the system hard.
9 >
10 > So it seems it's some sort of a change in kernels compared to the past.
11 > I have always run a vanilla kernel, manually configured and installed.
12 > Right now I am running 2.6.24.3.
13 >
14 > The system uses an SATA disk drive.
15 >
16 > Here is the boot line in grub.conf:
17 > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-stable root=/dev/sda4 rw hdc=noprobe
18 > acpi_sleep=s3_bios panic=5 elevator=cfq nmi_watchdog=0
19 >
20 > /boot/vmlinuz-stable being a symlink to the kernel I consider "stable"
21 > within /boot/. I also have vmlinuz-last called by another grub entry if
22 > I need it.
23 >
24 > Here is my kernel config: http://fire-eyes.org/t/config-2.6.24.3.txt
25 > (may disappear in the future)
26 >
27 > I am looking for feedback into what may be causing this mess. It makes
28 > for a very frustrating time using this laptop.
29 >
30 What is the version of the kernel where you did not have issues?
31 2.6.24 and 23 have a new CPU scheduler (CFS), which "should" work
32 better than the old one. It is possible that the new scheduler does
33 not suit your needs.
34
35 Tell us the kernel version that work well for you, and we'll if it
36 might be a regression of CFS in 24 or a possible weakness of CFS.
37 > Thank you!
38 > --
39 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
43 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list